Go Back   NorCal SVTOA Forums > Fast Fords > Mustangs & SVT Cobra Forums

Mustangs & SVT Cobra Forums General and tech discussions of the 1964-2005 Mustangs and Mustang Cobras.

Medusa Version 3.0 (New Build)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
98 Saleen Cobra
USCG

Default Medusa Version 3.0 (New Build)

Well as some of you now know my car has been eating motors.. 3 total to be exact two of which were built by some of the top builders. The first John Tymensky of Modular Performance and the 2nd built by Shawn@AED.. All of the motor blew the same way same piston same everything.. You can follow everything prior to this thread here
http://www.norcalsvtoa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10382

Well AED got the car on the dyno and it was pretty much toasted.. Car would run but they couldn't get it to do anything.. Did a compression test and that was that.. All the cylinders on the drivers side where toasted.. As much of you can imagine I freaked out being that I've now blown up 3 motors..

Not knowing WTF happened (none of us did) Drew and Shaun started making phone calls.. We were all scratching our heads. Well it turns out that there have been a few cases of ECU malfuntions on fueling these cars.. Some times it takes a few motors to figure out.. But after sending Drew some pics of the stock piston that let go, Drew having pics of my last built motor, and this current built motor. It was all the same side same cylinder etc.. We've changed injectors as well so that ruled that out.. After confirming with some other tuners from Shaun he said it's probably the ECU.. There was ZERO signs of detonation on the bearings.. They looked perfect just didn't get fuel.

This lead me to the next build.. Just moving back to CA and trying to save, bought my new truck etc.. Luckily everything is going to work out for the new build.. I've had some mental set backs with wanting to part the car and just say **** it.. BUT I'm going to do this built motor thing 1 last effing time.. So here is the run down.

Sold the Boss 5.0 block in favor of a very nice stock bore 281 Teksid block.. Saving weight is now key for me..

Custom Pistons
Same Billet I-beam Manly rods as before
Stock stroke forged Crank
Foxlake Stg 3 Ported heads
Custom Cams
FAST XFI Stand Alone ECU with all the goodies

Rear end:
The build up will be

FRPP 3.73's
DPI Differential http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/pro...num-track.html
9" ends
Custom Axles
Fully welded tubes
Powdercoated

Sold the T-trim to my buddy Pete who has a AED built 96 Cobra..

Bought a JT-trim

I don't really care for what power it's going to make, but I'd be willing to bet it'll be a lot. I have some goals in mind for it, but again at this point I need a car that runs lol.. and doesn't eat motors.. lol.. There will be a 17psi tune for drag racing every now and again, but mainly it'll be sitting at 10psi tops for street use.. The car will be light so HP doesn't matter to me lol.

At any rate, I figured I'd start a build thread so then I don't keep changing my mind on **** lol!! On to some pics.

Blown motor and pistons and you can see the drivers side of the block is toasted:

JT-trim that I bought, you can see it should go in for a freshen up due to throwing a few belts and the seals look kinda rough.

I'll keep this thread up to date as I can.. As of right now the JT-trim is sent out to Vortech and Drew is sending the heads out at some point and along with the block to the machine shop to get it checked out and pistons ordered..

Last edited by 98 Saleen Cobra; 02-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
me32
BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS

You and sal bud must love your cars like no tomorrow. Its tough to go through motor after motor. Good luck on the build. Ill keep an eye on the thread

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat
2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
98 Saleen Cobra
USCG

No I hate my car, but I hate losing to a object even more so lol.. I don't mind losing to another human who is naturally better than me, but this is just ridiculous lol

Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
me32
BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
No I hate my car, but I hate losing to a object even more so lol.. I don't mind losing to another human who is naturally better than me, but this is just ridiculous lol
hahaha. but the new 5.0s are just so tempting lol

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
700HP/700TQ ON E85

2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
98 Saleen Cobra
USCG

Ehh.. Yea they are.. But they are to refined.. Plus Traction control on the XFI setup means I should be able to hook lol.. Well see

Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
98 Saleen Cobra
USCG

think of it like this.. The cars are running 9's at 38/3900lbs.. at 700rwhp.. My car is going to weigh sub 3300lbs lol

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
me32
BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS

Quote:
Ehh.. Yea they are.. But they are to refined.. Plus Traction control on the XFI setup means I should be able to hook lol.. Well see
Quote:
think of it like this.. The cars are running 9's at 38/3900lbs.. at 700rwhp.. My car is going to weigh sub 3300lbs lol
yes they are, the new cars are made to drive everyday if you choose. that's the benefit to them. your car at that weight will be super fast. mexico will like you

700HP/700TQ ON E85

2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
dwattsup
BLOWN09

Good luck with the new build and hopefully everything goes smoothly. AED will take care of you. Drew showed me your piston when I was there last. It didn't look too happy.

Should be killa when you finish the new motor!
AED (Installed & Tuned)
10.08@138.84
www.aedhp.com

Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
97SnakeBite
DJ Mouf

finally opened the box aye?? lol .. i seem to have a weird spark issue i cant find.. car keeps burning on the coil pack side #5. there is great contact and the wire end seats fully but idk.. i think i want to switch to COP.. we talked about "breaking up" as both of our cars do it.. maybe there is a real common issue

- Procharger - Manely - Tooly - Aeromotive - Diamond - SR Performance - SPEC - Ford Racing - MM - ARP - Glenns - Racestar - QA1 - Clevite -
- 8 Rib - AP Steel - Viton - TSS - Canton - Injector Dynamics

daily- 01 Benz S430

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
98 Saleen Cobra
USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by me32 View Post
yes they are, the new cars are made to drive everyday if you choose. that's the benefit to them. your car at that weight will be super fast. mexico will like you
That's true, my car will be DD capable much like Gregs YSI fox is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwattsup View Post
Good luck with the new build and hopefully everything goes smoothly. AED will take care of you. Drew showed me your piston when I was there last. It didn't look too happy.

Should be killa when you finish the new motor!
Thanks man. Yea the pistons where very sad indeed.. lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SnakeBite View Post
finally opened the box aye?? lol .. i seem to have a weird spark issue i cant find.. car keeps burning on the coil pack side #5. there is great contact and the wire end seats fully but idk.. i think i want to switch to COP.. we talked about "breaking up" as both of our cars do it.. maybe there is a real common issue
I'd go ahead and get that **** figured out ASAP before you blow up a motor too