Go Back   NorCal SVTOA Forums > Fast Fords > Mustangs & SVT Cobra Forums

Mustangs & SVT Cobra Forums General and tech discussions of the 1964-2005 Mustangs and Mustang Cobras.

Code 1516 IMRC Issues: Help!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
98_Sactown_Cobra

Default Code 1516 IMRC Issues: Help!

OK....I am at wits end. I have run the best cleaners through the engine hoping to solve this problem but just cant seem to shake it. I keep getting the dredded check engine light resulting from error code 1516. Dealer recomments replacing the IMRC control assembly...unfortunately they told me this part is not made any more for the 98 cobra.

I have looked for and found what I think the part is for on the internet...getting a part # of F6ZZ9J559BB ... $189 plsu shipping....but it is for a used unit and basically there is no guarentee that it is in good working order and or will fix the problem. I hate to spend $200 on a part that may not fix the problem.....and then pay labor of around $500 to have it installed. Alot of money! Dealer told me I will basically not pass smog which I have to get done end of next month.

Not sure what to do....where to get the part......exactly which one to get....sucks. I am not very versed in car knowledge so that is hurting me as well. Dealer service guy just suggested that I sell the car and get a newer one....seems a little extreme....but damn what are my options. I have to get this fixed and working right so I can get the smog cert.

Any ideas? Help
#1738 of 3480

Dearborn, Michigan
March 4, 1998
K&N FIPK/IMRC Delete/Custom X pipe to Magnapack Cat Back
Eibach Sportlines Springs and Sway Bar Kit/KYB GR2 Shocks & Struts/MM CC Plates/MM Full Length Subframes
MM HD Lower Control Arms, MM Strut Tower Brace, Nitto NT05's on all corners
AED tuned to 273.7 RWHP; 277.9 RWTQ

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Twinkie
?

well unfortunately one of two things happen.... either the motor is burned up or the actual cable broke. And the only way to fix it is to replace the unit... if the cable is broken, there might be a way to replace just the cable... don't know haven't tried just the cable.
85 Mustang GT (Track car) project
02 Mustang GT (Ex-Girlfriend...Used and Abused)
70 BMW 2002
http://www.leftyhobbies.com

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
98_Sactown_Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie View Post
well unfortunately one of two things happen.... either the motor is burned up or the actual cable broke. And the only way to fix it is to replace the unit... if the cable is broken, there might be a way to replace just the cable... don't know haven't tried just the cable.
Well the cable isn't broke.....the unit still works just intermittantly. My problem is trying to track down a new IMRC controller assembly. I found a junk yard that has one but they asked me if I need the unit from the upper or lower intake manifold? Huh? Are there TWO of these IMRC control assemblies?
#1738 of 3480

Dearborn, Michigan
March 4, 1998
Eibach Sportlines Springs and Sway Bar Kit/KYB GR2 Shocks & Struts/MM CC Plates/MM Full Length Subframes

Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
cobrakidz
2 snakes and 2 cats

Sorry to hear about your problems. Maybe call Gary at GT Auto in Rancho, I know him through the Shelby club, he is a good guy.
67 beater "Tiger"

Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
dDUBb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Sactown_Cobra View Post
Well the cable isn't broke.....the unit still works just intermittantly. My problem is trying to track down a new IMRC controller assembly. I found a junk yard that has one but they asked me if I need the unit from the upper or lower intake manifold? Huh? Are there TWO of these IMRC control assemblies?
Good luck finding a New one. The control unit is underneath the Lower intake manifold, there is only one. Ebay usually has a control unit for sale, but they are always used.

- Dan

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
sleekgt
Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Sactown_Cobra View Post
error code 1516. Dealer recomments replacing the IMRC control assembly...unfortunately they told me this part is not made any more for the 98 cobra. [snip]Any ideas? Help
Reverify with ANOTHER Ford dealer about the IMRC control assembly.

I went to Frontier Ford (Santa Clara) in early March 2010 for a brake booster for 91 Mustang GT. He told me that it was JUST discontinued in Feb 2010.

This is for an 18 year old Mustang.

You may get lucky and find that Ford MIGHT still carry a new IMRC - long shot, but worth a try.

Be forewarned - the price will choke a horse. The 91 brake booster, if it were in stock - would have been over $450 (new). I bought a rebuilt unit from Pep Boys for $79.

Eddie

Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
98_Sactown_Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDUBb View Post
Good luck finding a New one. The control unit is underneath the Lower intake manifold, there is only one. Ebay usually has a control unit for sale, but they are always used.

- Dan
Thanks that was the information I was looking for...will help me pin down trying to find one. I guess that is what scares me....the only ones out there are used ones.....who is to say I buy a used one and will it really work better then the one I already have? I guess that is the price you pay for having a low production car.

I did actually take it to two different Ford dealers and they both confirmed that they don't make this part anymore. I am going to have to get one used off the internet and just pray that it is in good working order.
#1738 of 3480

Dearborn, Michigan
March 4, 1998

Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
98_Sactown_Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakidz View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. Maybe call Gary at GT Auto in Rancho, I know him through the Shelby club, he is a good guy.
THanks I just may give him a call....mind if I throw your name around?
#1738 of 3480

Dearborn, Michigan
March 4, 1998

Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
markolson

If push comes to shove, you could delete them. You lose a little in low end torque, but you could probably pick that back up with a good tune. You wouldn't have to though.

You could also just wire them open. I have designed and built a relay circuit that will fool the PCM into thinking they are still there. I'd be glad to have you test it for me.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
me32
BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolson View Post
If push comes to shove, you could delete them. You lose a little in low end torque, but you could probably pick that back up with a good tune. You wouldn't have to though.

You could also just wire them open. I have designed and built a relay circuit that will fool the PCM into thinking they are still there. I'd be glad to have you test it for me.
im gonna have to agree, if need to get rid of them an get a good tune, add some 410s or even 430s and youll never now there were gone pluse the car will pull hard as hell

Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat
2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

WWW.AEDHP.COM